Orthopaedic surgery department has established itself as centre of excellence in trauma management. Orthopaedic services are provided round the clock along with emergency surgeries. In addition to management of fractures and joint injuries, elective surgical procedures like ACL reconstruction, Joint replacement, deformity correction are undertaken.
The department was under the able leadership of Dr. Paulose Chacko in the 1970s and 80s. At a time when Joint replacement and Scoliosis surgeries were unheard of, these were undertaken in the department.
When the medical college was established Prof. Achan Alex who retired from Trivandrum medical college took over as the HOD. Dr.Johny T P has been working in the department since early 1980s. Dr.Cherian John who recently retired played an active role in the development of the department. Prof Mathew Abraham who completed his Mch from Liverpool took over as the HOD from March 2016.
- Seminars for eighth and ninth semester students on Mondays.
- Theory classes for sixth semester on Thursdays.
- Daily seminars and X - Ray discussion for interns at O ward seminar room.
- Bedside clinical acumen assessment for interns during daily rounds.
- OPD Case discussions for students on a daily basis with emphasis on Fundamentals of Clinical Examination
- All Interns are routinely involved in Assessment and Evaluation of Patients presenting to the Emergency Department, Work-up of patients prior to Surgery and Postoperative Management
- The department follows Evidence-Based Practice Management.
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
- Second generation locked plating for complex proximal humerus fractures in very elderly patients. Gavaskar AS, Karthik B B, Tummala NC, Srinivasan P, Gopalan H. Injury. 2016 Nov;47(11):2534-2538. doi: 10.1016/j.injury.2016.08.010.
- Delayed Total Hip Arthroplasty for Failed Acetabular Fractures: The Influence of Initial Fracture Management on Outcome After Arthroplasty. Gavaskar AS, Gopalan H, Karthik B, Srinivasan P, Tummala NC. J Arthroplasty. 2016 Sep 28. pii: S0883-5403(16)30647-7.
- Preoperative determination of tibial nail length: An anthropometric study. Issac RT, Gopalan H, Abraham M, John C, Issac SM, Jacob D. Chin J Traumatol. 2016 Jun 1;19(3):151-5.
- The extended posterolateral approach for split depression lateral tibial plateau fractures extending into the posterior column: 2 years follow up results of a prospective study. Gavaskar AS, Gopalan H, Tummala NC, Srinivasan P. Injury. 2016 Jul;47(7):1497-500
- Musculoskeletal trauma and all-cause mortality in India: a multicentre prospective cohort study. Foote CJ, Mundi R, Sancheti P, Gopalan H, Kotwal P, Shetty V, Dhillon M, Devereaux P, Thabane L, Aleem I, Ivers RQ, Bhandari M; INORMUS Investigators.. Lancet. 2015 Apr 27;385 Suppl 2:S30
- Nonoperatively treated infraglenoid tubercle avulsion. Issac RT, Gopalan H, John C, Abraham M, Issac SM. Chin J Traumatol. 2014;17(5):301-4.
To elevate the Trauma and Emergency Services to a Level - 1 Trauma Centre